- 2007-2018 there have been 51,919 reported cases of human trafficking (slavery for sexual and labor purposes) in the U.S. alone and the numbers continue to rise.
- According to Federal Government Data, approximately 15,000 immigrants are detained daily in over 200 immigrant prison camps in the U.S. with 60% of men, women and children held in privately-run camps.
- Per the CDC, Centers for Disease Control, estimates that approximately 123 Americans die each from suicide, one person every 12 minutes, 44,965 per year.
- The Veteran Suicide Prevention Annual Report for 2019 stated that 6,139 veterans died by suicide in 2017 up from 5,787 in 2015.
- Child Sexual Abuse in Protestant Christian Congregations: A Descriptive Analysis of Offense and Offender Characteristics article of January 15, 2018 confirmed that between 1987-2007, there were 260 claims per year with a payout of $87.8 million claims paid by Protestant churches for sexual abuse. The same article confirmed that the period from 1990-2002, 712 claims of sexual abuse by the Catholic Church were reported with $3.2 billion claims paid.
- Every 73 seconds, an American are sexually assaulted, only 5 of every 1,000 rapists will be sentenced to prison.
- On any given day in the U.S. per ChildrensRights.org, there are 443,000 children in foster care. In 2017, there were more than 690,000 in foster care. The average age of a child entering foster care is 8 years-old. One-third of those foster care in 2017, were young children of color. More than 17,000 children in 2017 aged out of foster case without permanent homes.
- Since January 15, 1977, 1,513 men and women have been executed in the U.S. 29 states in addition to the U.S. Government and military retain the death penalty.
- According to the Guttmacher Institute, approximately 862,320 abortions were performed in 2017, down 7% from 926,190 in 2014 in the U.S. This is the lowest rate ever observed in the United States; in 1973, the year abortion became legal, the rate was 16.3. As of September 1, 2019, 29 states were considered hostile toward abortion rights, 14 states were considered supportive and seven states were somewhere in between.
When Americans value the born, it is only then they will value the unborn.
The March for Life Rally was held in Washington, D.C. last week. It was the first time a U.S. President spoke at the National Right to Life’s annual event. Hailed as historic, it would have been truly historic in my opinion, if we came together not to discuss the National Right to Life’s pro-life agenda to overturn Roe vs Wade, but to discuss the rights of all individuals – the born and the unborn.
This commentary is not about whether the unborn is a human life, but just for science’s sake, let’s review. The fertilized embryo attaches itself into the lining of the uterus where it receives oxygen and nourishment from the mother. This happens 6 to 10 days after fertilization. As a Christian, I believe this is the “knitting together” as cited in Psalms 139:13. If a human needs need oxygen to live and grow, then the unborn is a human life.
The Value of Human Life
If Americans continue to diminish, defile, demean, and deny the value of the born, then how can we show a value for the unborn and upon their birth?
When a person’s right to choose for their own body, mind, and spirit is taken away, the person becomes a slave to their circumstances. I contend without choice, there is only desperation, destitution, and destruction of the born and the unborn.
I am not just my physical body. Yet if you limit my right to choose what is right for my physical body, then you limit my right to choose what is best for my mind and spirit too. You limit my right to choose Christ for myself. “Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. Place my yolk over your shoulders, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble. Then you will find rest for yourselves because my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
Without choice, without feeling valued, there will only be regrettable decisions for the unborn and the born. Overturning Roe vs Wade will not change a person’s feeling of value for life of the unborn. It will only turn her further away from God. We will lose both of them. The only way to change a desperate heart is to allow her to choose what is right in mind, body and spirit. Otherwise, I have no chance in reaching her in that place of hurt to say, “You matter. You have value. And if you have value, so does the unborn.”
I am one of those born statistics.
Whatever difficulty I have faced, I know that God reaches out to me with loving arms, welcoming me into His safe embrace. As I receive His love and grace, He gives me the strength and the opportunity to see others in their place of hurt. It is then that I truly understand what God’s has given me with His grace and mercy. I want others, whoever they are, to know that same truth and to have that same opportunity to help others too. I want them to know they have value.
The Choice to Value ALL Human Life
Let us come together to speak on the topic of anti-abortion when we choose to value the life for each person without looking at the color of their skin, their ethnicity, or questioning their gender or faith.
The unborn will only matter when we fight for the born to matter. Let us each make that choice.
I am a Christian. I value all human life. I value the right to choose in mind, body and spirit.
The Blogging Owl
file:///C:/Users/thebl/Downloads/religions-09-00027.pdf (Email The Blogging Owl, I will be happy to forward this to you.)
Other places to find me:
“Like” these Facebook pages:
Follow me on Intragram: thebloggingowl
Give me a hoot by email: Hoot@TheBloggingOwl.com
(c) 2017-2020 All Rights Reserved